Here I go again (your link is below, no worries).
So, on my iPhone, I have the wordpress App – very handy. Using the reader, I can check if anyone has posted stuff on their wordpress pages and last week I had this strange post (not that the post was strange, but it was from a site that I do not follow). Anyway, the poster/blogger/commenter was talking about how fanfiction writers always hurt Sookie – some even raping (some even having Eric rape) etc.. I realize that what he wrote was true and I took pause. The woman in me who studied psychology (she’s still in my head somewhere – I was going to SAVE the world, one therapy session at a time) stopped to think about it.
We DO put our main characters through tons and WE READ IT Too. I was truly trying to think through this person’s blog. I was defensive/ashamed of my writing, I was defensive of my reading, I was defensive of my position on women’s rights (I mean, my GOD – one of my Sookies is a stay at home mother for God’s sake).
Another 24 hours or so and I calmed.
I realized that he’s right – we write and read it. He’s also completely entitled to not like it. So I’m going to clear the air with a few confessions – sit down please – there could be shockers:
1) I LIKE Disney princesses. YEP – I like the Prince saving the Princess, I like knights on white horses, I like damsels in distress. In my writing and reading I like couples who save each other (maybe its with a sword, maybe its by being their go-to person). OH MY GOD – I just heard about half my readers fall over – laughing I’m sure. Do I ONLY like damsels in distress? No. Do I set out to live my life like that? No. Do I teach my daughters to wait at home to be saved? No – What do I teach my daughters? See 2
2) I have a stay at home dad husband (12 years and counting). I have a graduate degree and am a highly respected professional in my field. I’m thinking I’ve got women’s rights covered here. I can ENJOY a story and NOT LIVE that life. If I expected to live that life, I’d be waiting for my owl from Dumbledore or Prince Charming on that famous white horse that I confessed to liking. It’s quite possible that some days I wish roles were reversed at home and I live some of those dreams out in fanfiction. Don’t we all – so many RICH Erics, fancy clothes, jewels – fantasy fiction. Nothing wrong with that.
3) I write fiction. It’s not reality, editorial statements, ideas for how to live life etc.. It’s fiction.
4) Since I’m already confessing you should know everything. I like John Denver music. SHOCKER! Here’s why: John Denver was my mother’s Askars. She LURVED him. She had a full size poster of him that hung behind a closet door (I knew it was there). His music played in my house ALL THE TIME. My Mom is gone – I play Rocky Mountain High and she’s with me. If that hasn’t shocked you, I’ll confess that I also enjoy SOME (SOME) Barry Manilow songs (NEVER COPACABANA) and at the same time, I like the Ramones and X (Hungry Wolf anyone). I will tell you – The Carpenters – not on your life. I have some lines I won’t cross. IF YOU like them – that’s also fine.
5) Finally, Some days I believe Peanut M&Ms are an appropriate lunch. Some of you already know this – but I want to be clear.
NO – onto your links:
TEASER – WARNING – this teaser is adorable but it will give you more questions than answers. You have been warned. It’s an upcoming character – a new fabulous banner from Sephrenia.
Thanks for reading this rant, you are free to go read the next chapter in my FICTION story.